Satellite
  • Day 35

    Vang Vieng - the Adventures Continue

    November 25, 2018 in Laos ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    After the jungle party (which wasn't that great, by the way; the music sucked) we actually managed to get up and mountainbike again. The whole hostel room (except Aiden, who was feeling sick) joined this adventure (though we grew smaller after half the trip). It was a fun trip.

    That night I didn't party at all, resisting the temptation of the free whiskey and vodka at the hostel (which we had every day from 7-9pm). I woke up early the next day and rented a scooter, in order to explore a bit more of this amazing landscape. I started at the Kaeng Nyui waterfall and drove on the most horrible road I've ever been with a scooter (not sure you can call that a road, and not sure how my scooter survived the ride). The waterfall was beautiful, but not really worth the painful ride.

    I continued on the other side of town, explored more caves and met Ariff from Brunei. We drove to Blue Lagoon 3 (the cave and viewpoint there were great), ended up at Blue Lagoon 2 afterwards because we drove the wrong way, after which I drove back and even further out of town towards Blue Lagoon 5 (incredibly creative names; at least the naming convention is consistent, though nobody has seen Blue Lagoon 4 🤔).

    Anyway, I finished my adventurous day at the Phangern Mountain Viewpoint, for which I'll create a separate footprint.

    This was my last full day and last evening in Vang Vieng, and I really made it count. After such an exhaustive and impressive day (which I survived on only one sandwich for breakfast), I grabbed some free vodka at the hostel, went out for dinner with my roomies, and celebrated Aiden's birthday with a banana "cake" (we stuck some candles between a banana branch; the running joke was that Aiden has been eating quite a few bananas lately due to some stomach issues 😅).

    I wonderful last day in Vang Vieng, a place that has way more than just parties to offer.
    Read more