Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Carnac Plage to Paris

    September 14, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Last night in Carnac Plage, rain continued through dinner and the late evening. Our last dinner with this group was held in a very small, classy, family restaurant right on the beach. Madame, the owner, orchestrated the service and selected the menu with Annie. Once again over-the top-excellence.

    We begin with a Champagne toast. Annie thanks us and we thank her profusely. Lots of hugging goes on and many kind words. Then:

    A Sancerre. A dark Burgundy. L'eau Minerale

    An amuse bouche panna cotta with a strange and strangely delicious mix: beet custard on the bottom, raspberry custard on the top. Presented in a wildly modern handmade glass.. An odd combo that was both totally delicious and totally unexpected. But of course...

    Next, poached lobster. After that turbot. Each served in a puddle of sauce that I can't describe with any phase other than luxurious. Bill says otherworldly. Either way, we are in agreement.

    Silence has fallen around the table. There is no conversation only the occasional moan. And then dessert. We eventually totter off to our hotel. It is very late.

    The morning brings breakfast and farewells. Annie is tearful as are a few others. It's been exactly the treo we had hoped for with a great your leader and good companions. No quitters, even on the worst of the bad weather days. And no whining either.

    Still, everyone is heading somewhere else now. Bill and I take the high speed train to Paris and a cab from Gare Montparnass to our b&b which is located near the Opera Garnier in the 9th arrondisement north of the Seine. It's a slow taxi ride because it's a nice day and the streets are filled with people. Traffic is terrible.
    Read more