Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    Mexican Mutiny

    February 20, 2018, Arafura Sea ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    Well, glory hallelujah in a taco shell! All this lovely French cooking has been wonderful, but a few of the passengers got a wee bit weary of food whose names they cannot pronounce, so just yesterday they asked Viking for some good old Mexican food like we have on every other street corner in ‘Murka. I imagine the conversation went something like this:

    Viking Boss says, “Let’s give them a Mexican meal.”

    Chef says, “Oh, we have served ceviche several weeks ago.”

    Viking Boss says, “No, I mean tacos, enchiladas, chile rellenos, burritos. The good stuff. You’re French, but you live in California now, so you can pull it off.”

    Boy howdy! Did he ever pull it off! With only one day to prepare, tonight for supper chef served us nachos, chicken burritos, chicken tortilla soup, salsa verde, guacamole, chiles rellenos, several different kinds of cheese and pepper sauces, and shrimp tacos with red pepper sauce. And it was all fabulous! We even had real Mexican flan and churros for dessert. We got in line at 6 pm when the serving line opened to the sound of norteño Mexican music. There were about 60 people in line. It’s now 7:20 pm and the line hasn’t diminished. I think we have a winner here. Viking Boss told Glenda that they are thinking they may do this again. These folks at Viking really are the consummate hosts. They listen to us passengers and they do their absolute best to give us what we want. They even passed out margaritas to the folks waiting in line! Viking is really a class act.

    I wonder how you say “Olé” in Norwegian.
    Read more