Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Archbishop's Residence and St. Killian's

    May 14, 2015 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    The Residence of the Archbishop is the most opulent high baroque structure I can recall seeing. The artistry and craftsmanship are unspeakably beautiful. Everything was "over the top" in this attempt to emulate the aesthetic excesses of Versailles. The little chapel with its myriad of angels and gold sun bursts transports one to the throne of God. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take photographs inside.

    St. Killian's Church, despite its grizzly skeletons on the outside, was lovely inside. It is a monument to three Irish monks who brought Christianity back into Germany in the dark ages. On our way back to the bus we saw the church of St. Kilian, the site of the three Irish martyrs who brought Christianity to Franconia around 670 AD. Its white and gold interior are gloriously refreshing and joyful. The priest had just finished a mass for the Feast of the Ascension, and incense still hung heavy in the air. Without setting up a tripod, I attempted to hold the camera on a steady pew to take my slow exposures. We almost had to run back to the ship, and barely made the departure time of 6:15 pm. The activities briefing for tomorrow preceded our 7:00 pm supper with Heather and Don, joined by Mike and his wife Helen from Patuxent River, Maryland. The runny nose and the coughing is slowing down. I'm glad Glenda suggested continuing the full course of antibiotics for ten days. The doctor onboard the Royal Princess told me that I had to take that medicine for only 5 days.
    Read more