Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Hubbard Glacier

    June 8, 2014 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 48 °F

    We had breakfast in the Provence Dining Room on deck 7 with assorted messmates from India, Galveston, Florida, and Las Vegas. Then we walked about 2 miles on the promenade deck. Came back to room and Glenda took a nap. We ate lunch by ourselves; I had split pea soup and bread. Glenda had soup and salad.

    I decided to miss the wine tasting so that we might go out on deck to photograph the Hubbard Glacier in Yakutat Bay. Clouds partially obscured it, so my pictures were not quite as good as last time. The naturalist onboard has not been nearly as active in informing passengers about the glaciers as was her predecessor, Kathy Slamp. I was pleased to hear the captain speak over the public address system about an unusually high incidence of influenza on this ship last week. He stressed the need for frequent, thorough handwashing, and the need to cover one's cough. Had the captain of the Ruby Princess been as diligent, I might have been spared that case of pneumonia in November.

    Tonight supper was a formal night. Mike arranged for the Wrinkles, Friedmans and Cooks to sit at the same table. What a feast! Mike began by bringing a bottle of Champagne. I ordered medallions of lamb and a bottle of Gamay Beaujolais. As I expected, it was fruity and full. The conversation was lively, and David ended the evening with a hilarious joke about a Russian wrestler.
    Read more