Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier

    June 11, 2014 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 39 °F

    We awoke early for a quick breakfast so that we could catch the coach to the Juneau Airport. There we were fitted with big snow overshoes for our helicopter ride 12 miles up the Mendenhall Glacier to the sled dog camp. The weather was magnificently clear, with a temperature in the 50's. It turned out that our three layers of clothing was excessive for this lovely day, but in Alaska one never knows what the weather will bring, nor how quickly it will change. The helicopter ride was smooth and comfortable, though a bit cramped with 6 persons including the pilot. The views of the glacier in the clear sunlight were magnificent. We landed at the sled dog camp and were divided into groups of 4. Our musher, named Ibbie, allowed each of us the opportunity to pilot the dog sled. After 6 to eight minutes, we relinquished command to one of our fellow tourists. Each change took place during a three or four minute rest for the dogs. I went to pet the dogs and encourage them. Among our huskies were Sampson, a large black dog with very thick fur; Greazy, a lean, white dog who seemed a bit frightened by new people, but a very sweet dog; Jack; and 6 others. In all we traveled maybe two miles in a large circle.

    We flew back to the airport in an equally glorious scene, then got to the ship in time to have a quick sandwich which we had saved from the International Cafe the night before.
    Read more