Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    The Spectacular Waterfalls of Krka

    April 21, 2022 in Croatia ⋅ 🌧 50 °F

    A 30 minute bus ride in the rain took us to Krka National Park. Here are the most magnificent waterfalls I’ve ever seen. There must be a hundred of them ranging from small rapids to huge cataracts dumping millions of gallons per second. In the old days there were 17 flour mills here. Some of them have been preserved and they provide a wonderful demonstration of how water power was used. It was particularly interesting to learn that Nichola Tesla grew up here. We saw the first power plant he designed, along with the original turbine used to generate electricity. While this town was the first town in the world to use electrical power, this hydroelectric plant was actually the second one ever built. After making the plans for this facility, Tesla went to the United States to build the hydroelectric station at Niagara Falls. While that plant was finished before this one, making it the first one in the world, this hydroelectric station began to produce electricity before the one at Niagara Falls. Buffalo, New York had to wait another six months for power lines to link the hydroelectric station to the city. Here the lines were strung before the plant was built, so electricity started flowing immediately upon the plant’s completion.

    The waterfalls here are beautiful beyond description. Today was a rainy day and our guide told us that the water falls are carrying about three times their normal volume. On hot summer days the line of buses and boats carrying tourists stretches for miles. Often tourists must wait as much as three hours to buy a ticket to get into the park. I can understand why this site is so popular. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say that this is among the most beautiful natural phenomena I have ever seen.
    Read more