Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Monterey to Bass Lake

    October 13, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 63 °F

    Breakfast was a heavenly lemon tart at Parker-Lousseau Patisserie, a lovely little pastry shop in the building that John C. Fremont adopted as his headquarters in Monterey.

    Glenda fell in love with the little box of toffee she bought at the street market in Carmel yesterday, so early this morning she wanted to make a quick run back there before we left for Bass Lake. She found the tent and had a wonderful conversation with a Mr. Osborne, who has adopted toffee-making as a hobby in his retirement. He makes it in his own kitchen, and because of health regulations cannot sell it anywhere but the farmers' market. He is certainly unable to ship his candy to us back in North Carolina. So Glenda loaded up on toffee.

    A quick drive-through to see whether there were any more sea otters in Pacific Grove convinced us that the sea otters are in trouble here. We had a quick lunch at the Crown and Anchor, and then on the way out of Monterey went to Trader Joe's to buy groceries. We hit the road about 3:30 PM to go to Bass Lake.

    East of Chowchilla, California we went through a high plateau with some unusual scenery. We stopped at Oakhurst to buy a few more groceries. The supermarket there is the largest grocery store I've ever seen. It has a huge grocery department as large as any Walmart, and an additional section for everything from auto parts to camping equipment. We arrived at Worldmark Bass Lake about 6 PM. We unpacked the car and had supper in our apartment.
    Read more