Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Tour of Shimizu

    October 13, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    Shimizu is the port to the thriving city of Shizuoka. With nothing pressing on the agenda today we simply took a lovely bus tour of the area. Perhaps this city’s major attraction is its glorious views of Mount Fuji. There is also a beautiful black beach that opens onto an emerald blue bay nearly two miles deep.

    Our guide took us to a Shinto shrine with an interesting history. In ancient times the gods came and went from earth, landing in this luxurious maritime pine forest. A wealthy Japanese family bought the land. In the early 20th century their son fell in love with a French ballerina in Paris. They married, and the description he gave of his homeland made her long to come to Japan. She died young, at the age of 35, before she could come here. Her husband transported her body here and buried her in this mysteriously divine pine forest. After he died, he joined her here, and his family built their lovely monument in the deep, dark woods by the ocean. They still lie here together.

    Next our bus took us up the highest mountain in this part of Japan. Surrounding a gargantuan communications tower is an observation platform that gives spectacular views of Fuji-san on a clear day. This area will never make it onto the travelogues, but it is as nice a place as I have ever visited. Actually, with the overwhelming kindness of the Japanese people, I think I could live here.
    Read more