Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Fragrant Harbor

    October 23, 2023 in Hong Kong ⋅ ☁️ 72 °F

    In Cantonese the name Hong Kong means “Fragrant Harbor.” Maybe it was that once upon a time. Every city has a certain character, an ambience that is unique. Hong Kong, a megalopolis scattered across a dozen islands with different peoples, businesses, and socio-economic levels, is a kaleidoscope that defies description. It has three languages, two ship terminals, two governments, and half a dozen different ethnic groups. Some of Asia’s richest people live next door to some of Asia’s poorest. The only country that comes close to this kind of demography is India. Miles and miles of skyscrapers are stacked together to the horizon. So are the slums. A significant portion of Hong Kong’s population is not even allowed to come on land unless they have to go to the hospital. It’s past is British; it’s future is Communist. Yet in some sense, for Glenda and me Hong Kong feels like an old friend. It is good to be This is our second trip to Hong Kong, and just for sentimental reasons we went on the same excursions today that we took last time. The view from the top of Victoria Peak is magnificent. Our ride in a rickety old sampan was just as charming. The Stanley street market was as crowded and dingy as ever. But this is Hong Kong.

    Now we are back in our stateroom starting to pack to go back home to North Carolina. Tomorrow we will leave the ship that has been our home for over a month. We have dear friends we are leaving behind. We just made two new ones as we met the spouse and daughter of one of our friends on the crew. New friends from Oregon and England have graced us with their company. As rich as this experience has been, however, it is true that there is no place like home, and we are looking forward to returning to the place and the friends we love the best.
    Read more