Satellite
Show on map
  • Bakau - Kachykalli - Banjul

    January 21, 2022 in Gambia ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    After a good breakfast we head to Banjul with a few stops.
    First we visit the Independence Stadium where Seedy has already played football with his regional team. A few track and field athletes are training while we're there.
    Continue to the Kachikally Crocodile Pool. There is a small museum where we see masquerades from different tribes, musical instruments and also some photos of the history of Gambia. Then we come to the crocodiles. A nice guy explains a lot to us and the most important thing seems to us that they are fed very well with fish every morning and then just lie around lazily. So we can be very brave and touch them. It feels kind of lifeless, but to prove they're alive, the guy shoos them up a bit, and sure enough - they're moving.
    Continue to Banjul to Arch 22, from where we have a nice view over the small capital. There is a small exhibition about the sad story of the victims of the former dictator Jammeh, who tolerated no criticism and had countless people kidnapped and tortured, many of whom did not survive the ordeal.
    Then we visit the Albert Market and are simply overwhelmed by the abundance and the narrow paths. In view of the abundance of the offer, it is hard to imagine that every dealer can do good business there.
    Read more