Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Ciao Italy, Grüezi Switzerland

    June 22, 2016 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    8am bags to coach wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great. People (including Tamara) kept saying "I heard about you last night!" which had me slightly concerned as I thought my memory was completely in tact, but it seems it was just my party spirit, nothing to be worried about!
    We made our way to Switzerland, and immediately we were blown away by the beautiful countryside, quite unlike anything else.
    We made our way into Lucerne, a gorgeous Swiss town, where we stopped and made our way to a statue of a lion carved into a cliff wall, laying over Swiss and French shields, which was carved in the early 1800's. It was stunning, and quite unbelievable that it was so old!
    We jumped back on the bus and headed to Harry's, a Swiss Army Knife and watch shop, where we all stocked up on souvenirs and presents for home. They also did engraving, so I bought a white swiss army knife for dad with 'Krohny' engraved on it.
    From there we had an hour or so of free time, so I went for a wander around with Terryanne. Lucerne is a gorgeous little town to explore.
    We headed back to our meeting point near Harry's and sat with a few others for a while before we all headed back to the bus to make our way to Lauterbrunnen.
    The views became more and more incredible as we got closer to our destination, and we even got to stop for some photos along the way. We also went through multiple tunnels throughout the landscape, one was 16km long - one of the longest tunnels in the world.
    We got into Lauters at around 7pm, and as this stay was at a Contiki hostel, a Contiki person jumped on the bus to chat to us before we checked in.
    Tamara had explained that they like to play tricks on their fellow Contiki staff, so we all sunk down in our seats, and put our hands up and made gooses, so that's all the Contiki person could see. She was completely thrown off, it was hilarious. At one point she said "If you look over to your left.. Well, you can't see but imagine..." and we all pointed our Goose heads to the left, she started laughing, it must have been in perfect unison!
    We got off the bus, all laughing, picked up our bags and headed to our rooms. Tonight I was sharing with Katie and Charlotte.
    We only had a short amount of time to get organised before dinner at 8pm. After dinner Charli and I went off to reception to get our wifi passwords, then I headed off with Jacinda, Terryanne, Alyx and Allison to explore a waterfall a short walk from our hostel.
    In front of the path up to the waterfall was a small paddock with goats, who were all wearing bells, so they were really loud. We took some photos and continued on our way.
    It was a bit of a hike up, and I probably should have worn better shoes than my thongs, but it was truly spectacular. You could climb right up behind the waterfall, so we got a tad wet, but it was definitely worth it.
    We made our way back down to the hostel.
    A few of us decided to head into town for a quiet drink at the local pub, so we headed over. Once I realised my bourbon and coke cost 10 swiss francs (about $14AUD), I decided one drink was enough, plus it was super smokey so I headed back to the hostel with Alyx, stopping at the waterfall again for some night pictures.
    Once I got back, Charli and I decided to venture down to the shared bathrooms to shower. This is the first hostel that has been a true hostel with shared bathrooms and showers. And it was the whole reason I wouldn't normally want to stay in hostels! It was pretty grotty, and the showers only stayed on for about 20 seconds before turning off. Fun times...
    We then headed back to our rooms for some much needed sleep!
    Read more