Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 122–125

    fethiye

    January 15 in Turkey ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    i thought the bus from izmir to fethiye would take three to four hours, thurns out it's more than eight. i wrote an e-mail to the hostel staff to please wait for me after the 10pm check-in deadline and took an overpriced taxi to the hostel. arrived there just 15 minutes late.

    the hostel is a really nice, friendly place. apart from two cats and two great dogs, there were only two volunteers and robert, the only other guest, there, but we got along great, even cooked together.

    the weather the next day was warm and very rainy and stormy, but i still had to go out to buy some groceries. one of the guys informed me that i could take the bike, and so i did. not having been on one for months now, i had an unexpected amount of fun, even in the pouring rain. felt a lot like i was in vietnam, with the palm trees, the humidity and the lush green hills all around.

    later, i checked out the beach, took a walk up one of the coast rocks and took the bike downtown. fethiye and the surrounding are are perfect tourist destinations, maybe i'll come back someday and trek the lycian way.

    i stayed one day longer than originally planned, because i didn't want to waste great weather on a travel day. me and robert realized we were both planning to do a hike, so we teamed up to hike the first couple of kilometres of the lycian way. we had to take some minibusses to get to the trailhead, and for the second time in turkey, the police stopped to do a passport control. guess i'll have to get accustomed to it from here on.

    the weather couldn't have been better, i zipped off my pant legs and went in shorts for the first time in ages. the sea had turned from murky brown to the most vibrant turquoise i have ever seen in nature. the trail was pretty nice with great views, we even met a guy that planned to go all the way to antalya.

    booked a bus for noon the next day, said goodbye to everyone and reached antalya less than four hours later.
    Read more