Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Peddle on – Heidelberg & back – 55km

    August 27, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We were in the dining room and enjoying a fairly generous breakfast by 7am – bacon and eggs, cereals, yoghurt, fruit, breads etc etc – you are also required to take items from the buffet and make your lunch too – there was ham, salad, cheeses and eggs to put into rolls and then plenty of fruit, plus a muslie bar and some chocolate to take too. All sorted we were out on the bank to sort out the bikes and adjust them to our size. Kirstin had a few quick lessons with her e-bike and mastered it easily. A last-minute briefing, some photos and then we were off towards Heidelberg.

    We headed past the Schloss and then it was up through the main street to the Necker river which is the other side of town. There we turned to the right and then followed the river towards Heidelberg. It was a lovely cool and slightly misty morning as being a Sunday we were serenaded by the bells of numerous local churches as we rode along. The bike path meandered up and down, through towns and past fields – the main local crops seemed to be corn, a type of beet (maybe the type that you feed to cattle) and also perhaps radishes. We seemed to get a bit lost at times and were helped out by a pair of friendly locals who guided us into the town via the Alte Brucke which also has the student gate. Somehow along the way we had got split into 2 groups so we ended up doing different things for the day. I had coffee with 3 other ladies and then went of a walk down the Haupstrasse (Main Street) before heading up to the Schloss – or Castle (which was constructed between the 13th and 18th centuries and also has the distinction of being hit by lightning and burning down – twice) to enjoy the view of the town. After that I then returned to the square near the Church (Heiliggeistkirche) to eat my packed lunch and enjoy a small glass of Heidelberg Pilsiner.

    Kirstin enjoyed lunch on the other side of the river, picnicking near a water park before crossing the river via the Alte Brucke and enjoying an espresso and a long relaxing chat in the square near the church. Henry shared the story of his life growing up in the outer suburbs of Berlin during the second world war as part of a family of 9 children (4 brothers and 4 sisters). At 1.30 this group headed back to Mannheim with a brief stop at the zoo and at a small village beer garden where several Ghostriders enjoyed a beer in the sun (although Kirstin restrained herself for fear of falling off her e-bike).

    I waiting in Heidelberg until 2pm when I began the ride back with 3 others – however not only did I somehow loose them along the way, but I caught up with the first group – we made very good time back to Mannheim and were boarding the boat by 4.10pm ready for our 5pm departure. Then it was a nice cup of tea, a shower and a good relax before dinner which was vegetable mouse or salad, some veggie soup, fish and beans and fruit salad to finish. A very full and enjoyable day.
    Read more