Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    No riding today ... obviously

    April 26, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    After breakfast this morning I hit the internet and the phone to try to sort out what to do about my bike and the rest of the trip... it took about half an hour but I finally came up with a bit of a plan that will see me going back to Melbourne tomorrow and seeing a couple of men about a couple of bike options. Then, how to spend the day and riding wasn't an option and really the weather was just to gorgeous to sit around sulking.
    The first stop was Yackandandah, described as a "a small tourist town in northeast Victoria" it is actually a former gold mining settlement (gold was discovered in the area in 1852) with many original buildings... so much so that the town center is now classified by the National Trust. While it is a pretty town the appellation "tourist town" is accurate, in that the main street now consists of mostly cafes, old wares stores and designer clothing boutiques. The main attraction for me was the extension to the rail trail from Yackandandah to Osborne Flats. It really is very good. The surface is a fully sealed sort of pebble-crete and the bridges and new and well made, perhaps a little more signage ... but it's clearly a work in progress. I enjoyed a lovely stroll the 6km each way to Osborne Flats, the trail undulates gently through the bush and it was all rather pleasant.
    Then it was on to Beechworth and lunch at my favorite Brewery... Bridge Road, home of the famous chocolate Easter ale.... yummo.. combined with a apple and gorgonzola pizza and I was in heaven. Post lunch it was time for a stroll around town visiting the Butt-butt tree (a massive 600 year old apple gum) and enjoying the Autumn leaves before making my way to Bilson's Brewery.
    Bilson's is "billed" (pardon the pun) as one of the oldest continuing beverage manufacturers in Australia. While they originally made beer (currently in hiatus due to COVID apparently) the later diversified to cordials and more-recently pre-mixed vodka things and even more recently Gin. I had a bit of a tasting and came away with some cordials and some interesting Gin (a weird purple one and a "Durif" gin - both VERY nice). Leaving the beverages and the car at Bilsons I then set off for another walk - this time it was a loop through the Beechworth Historic Reserve.
    beechworth itself is apparently a charming and well preserved gold rush town with many restored colonial buildings and a historic precinct which includes the goal and other official buildings. It is also increasingly know as a "gourmet" destination having the 2 breweries, many wineries and heaps of local producers from fruit, cheese, honey and heaps more. The Historic Park to the west of the town incorporates "The Gorge" which is a deep river valley, bordered on both sides by rocky outcrops which afford a view over the town. It is apparently where the infamous "Kelly Gang" hid out for a time. There is a 5km loop road through the area which takes in the Beechworth cascades which are rather nice. I had another enjoyable stroll and then finally ended up back at the car at about 530 for the short drive back to Woodonga.
    Read more