Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Aswan & Elephantine Island

    February 28 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    Up for early breakfast and bused to the Philae Temple. The Philae Temple was really nice.... up high, surrounded by water and not overly busy. It's definitely one of my favorites.
    We then drove over the old British dam built in the 1980's to get to Lake Nasser and Aswan High Dam. Quite the interesting story.
    Back to the boat for lunch, and then we walked down the harbor walkway to a waiting Felucca. The ride to the Nubian Village was really nice through marshes to a spot where we had to change to a tour boat with a motor.
    Once we had power, we could go through the cataracts... easy to see why ships of the early Egyptians could not traverse them!!
    We arrived at the Nubian Village and had tea in a "typical" home. It was interesting and we learned a little bit of their way of life.
    The shopping that we had been told would not be aggressive was awful. They were extremely aggressive and got pissed of when we said no. We did stop at a vendor with a nice shop who had signs everywhere saying no bargaining! What a relief, and we actually bought 2 small limestone figurines.
    Read more