Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Valença, Portugal to Os Eidos, Spain

    July 1, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 52 °F

    We left Forteleza, the old part of Valença, and crossed over the Rio Minho (on a big scary bridge) into Tui, Spain. We then climbed up a lot of stone steps to the Cathedral de Santa Maria, a 12th century church with a Gothic entrance. We couldn’t go inside; 8:00 am is too early for the church to be open.
    After cafe au lait and chocolate pastry at “Ideas Peregrines,” we enjoyed a beautiful walk through eucalyptus forests and small villages. We met many new pilgrims while taking photos or stopping for a rest.
    Tonight we are at Casa Alternativo in Os Eidos. The host made dinner for 7. It was lovely to share food and wine with pilgrims from Brazil, France/Gabon, California, and Spain.
    Our host, Dries, made Charles apply loads of fresh aloe vera to his feet. It seems to have helped. Despite Dries insisting he take another day off, we are pushing forward tomorrow with another short day. I am watching Charles carefully for any signs of infection and encouraging him to stop and rest.

    Lessons for today-
    1. Walking slowly side by side reminds me to live in the present.
    2. Walking in nature on wooded paths reminds me of the glory of God’s creation.
    3. Spending time sitting on the porch waiting for the sun to set is an opportunity to get to know people.
    4. No internet can be a blessing.

    Pray for healing and openness to the spirit for both of us.
    Read more