Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Saxamonde to Pontevedre

    July 3, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    Today was a beautiful day of walking. Forest paths, small villages, and a lovely chapel. The expected rain turned into a drizzle. We spent more time taking off our raincoats than wearing them!

    The number of pilgrims increased. Some we have met before, many were new to us. We also got stamps in our pilgrim passport from roadside vendors. They gave us helpful info about the trail ahead.

    Once we had determined to go all the way to Pontevedra (24+ kilometers), Charles selected Casa Sara for our stay tonight. It turned out to be a perfect choice! We are in the old city, we easily walked to dinner and the cathedral, and tomorrow’s path out of town is minutes away. (I have a private room tonight. Can’t say I’m not happy about that!)

    We have a solid routine now. Charles’ alarm goes off around 6:00 and we pack up and go, with or without breakfast, depending on what’s available. We stop for coffee at 9:00 or 10:00, lunch at 11:30 or later, and arrive at our albergue by 4:30. Shower, beer, nap. Then dinner at 8:30 (Spain!). Rest and repeat. We stop to stretch and adjust our foot dressings multiple times during the day.

    Notes:
    1. Love the Camino Ninja app! It’s a bit clunky, especially the map section, but very reliable.
    2. Do not rely on google maps! Timings are way inaccurate and routes don’t consider pilgrims. It’s helpful the last kilometer in a city to get to your albergue, but that’s about it.
    3. Farmacias are not open on Sunday.
    4. I love my sleep mask.
    5. They really do close every afternoon then reopen around 5:00 pm for business. Dinner is not served until after 8:00 pm. Don’t even ask!
    6. Walking along a babbling brook/river reminds us that “All will be well. All manner of things will be well.” Trust in God to guide you, it’s a magnificent way to live.
    Read more