Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Borobudur Temple

    June 29, 2019 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    After packing our bags and taking them down to the lobby, we walked to the nearby bookshop/stationary/toy shop for a quick shopping trip. The bus then, after loading our bags, picked us up and drove us north. Our first stop was a restaurant for lunch. Then on to Borobudur temple.

    The entire site contains 504 statues of Buddha on 3 levels, 1460 stone reliefs on the walls and 1212 decorative reliefs along the path. The relief sculptures narrate the Buddha’s teachings (the Dharma) and depict various events related to his past lives (Jataka tales), and illustrate stories taken from important Buddhist scriptures (sutras).

    The temple has 3 levels and the idea is to walk around each level clockwise to follow the stories in the carvings.

    As everywhere we have visited the Indonesians have been very hospitable and wanted photos with us. Here it was no different. The girls were very popular.

    Rifa was still with us for the day and after she dropped us at our accommodation for the next couple of nights, we said a teary goodbye as Rifa has been a wonderful guide.
    Read more