Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    DAY THIRTYFOUR

    March 18 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Today Invercargil, where it was a misty cold damp 10 degrees to Manapouri and sunshine no wind and a lovely 16 degrees. Was so nice to get the chairs out of the boot and sit outside for our coffee. Anyway to back track on the trip here. First stop the beautiful Invercargill Queens Gardens where I was keen to see 'The Stumpery'. So we set off in the drizzle to find this intriguing use of storm damaged trees, old railway sleepers, and ancient roots from peat bogs. Sorry not to spend more time in these beautiful gardens, but the weather wasn't favorable for a walk/ride through on this visit. So back on the road and a coastal drive through Riverton, Colac Bay, Gemstone Bay (no, just some pretty pebbles) and Tuatapere. Yep sausages for the freezer, and last stop Clifden suspension bridge. When built in 1899 it was the longest suspension bridge in NZ. So quite a short but very interesting drive today. Photos will confirm. Enjoy. 1-4 Gardens. 5 Riverton Got to be quick with the camera when spotting these gems along the way. 6-11 Colac Bay. The surfer welcoming visitors. Spot the smiling house. You might get a bargain here if looking for a beach house!
    The yellow school bus shelter needs a lick of paint. Colourful loos.
    12-15 Gemstone Beach house on the crumbling cliff. Zoom in on 15 and see what's behind the circular hole in the rock
    The final photo is a view coming in to Manapouri.
    Read more