Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Homeward Bound

    February 25, 2018 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Jane and I are very sorry to leave. The Botswana locals are lovely people,helpful and friendly. It is not as populated as SA and does not have the sprawling townships of small closely packed dwellings. The drivers are shocking! There are the usual characters around though. The police don't have a car, so if Paul needs a cop,he has to go and get him. After a minor break in, Paul had to go the the police station, and after the paper work, PDR was asked to run the crook home. You can imagine his reply. Our final dinner was hosted by two of P&H's friends who run an overlanders/backpackers lodge next door. Cronje and Anita are great people. She is a local girl,well educated,fluent in German( they get a lot of Huns),and he is Africaans from Pretoria.He does not drink much now as he used to get hammered with his mates and drive around pissed paint balling the natives around Pretoria! We had a great night and ate well. Braai pastry (Puff pastry stuffed with chilli,peppers,onions etc) andfinished over the coals,together with spicy chicken and Hake. All delicious. We retired to P&H's for a nightcap and a final chat. Bed at 12 then the heavens opened. Over an inch of rain fell in the night. It was like living in a drum. Typical African send off. P&H fab hosts and on great form.We will miss them but have made tentative arrangements to meet next year.
    It is over 30 years since I was in SA and it is easy to say that whilst everything has changed,nothing has changed. Not so. The older generation have not or will not accept an unsegregated society. The younger generations seem to take it in their stride and we have felt the improvement. The income differential though will take many years to overcome and it will happen as the locals are getting the better jobs and a better education.This is Jane and Roger signing off from O Tambo airport Johannesburg. Mrs G has a lovely tan and no lasting scars!!! ROger and out!
    Read more