Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Day 19 - Rivers Run Through It

    September 26, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Today started very much the same as yesterday. For a moment, it was Groundhog Day in IHOP. We ordered similar things to yesterday and the decor looked the same. There were large jugs of coffee and everybody had a smile. However, we were in a different state and the mood had changed. It was not at all busy like yesterday in Seattle, Washington. Everybody then was excited, clearly restless at the day's upcoming football game between the Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers. We knew this because nearly everyone, including the staff, had Seahawks shirts on. Nope, this morning's meal was delivered at a leisurely pace to locals reading the paper in the college town of Missoula, Montana. Phew, we weren't trapped in an endless loop of pancakes and The 49ers losing. Although just like yesterday, once we had eaten, we were hitting the road again.

    Whilst on the road, there has been much discussion, well it's come up a few times, about our favourite bodies of water. We've seen lots of lakes, rivers, streams, creeks, brooks, a sea and the exteriors of a few swimming pools. Although Alice says that doesn't count. Alice is firmly in the lake camp. I really liked Clear Lake from earlier in the trip but after today I'm sticking with rivers. Or should that be I'm flowing with rivers. We followed various rivers the past few days as they either trickled or gushed close by. They are always changing, never the same, pushing on, regardless of rocks or other obstacles. Rivers create paths that humans follow and chart, such as the Columbia River that we crossed yesterday. It was charted by Lewis and Clark with a lot of help from various local tribes along the route from 1804 and ensured a North Western Passage for the then recently formed United States. The rest is history as they say and yet I can still see that river going past.

    The Earthquake Lake which we also encountered on our way through Yellowstone had what I can only describe as a foreboding feel. All looked well except for groups of seemingly dead trees sprouting out of the lake. It was strangely eerie.

    What lifted the mood was spotting bison! Loads of them. I thought they were nearly extinct! The deeper into the park you go, the closer they were to the road, nonchalantly eating away, wagging their tails. They looked pretty happy and so we didn't want to disrupt their dinner or snack time and kept a safe distance when taking photos.

    On arrival at our accomodation, we registered at the main desk and then located our cabin which was out in the back. It's a cosy (when the heater is on) space with no TV, Internet or even phone reception. That's right. We are now officially off the grid with bears, wolves and bison outside. Gulp!

    Song of the Day:
    Rihanna - Shut Up And Drive (self-explanatory!)
    Read more