Satellite
  • Day 47

    Day 47 - A Rocky Revolution

    October 24, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    So far on this trip Alice and I have been to the site where the Mayflower first reached US soil and also where revolution started in Boston. Today we visited the principle sites where a nation was founded. Philadelpia is home to Independence Hall where both the United States Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were debated and adopted. We joined a tour through the various rooms and it was explained in detail what occurred here. It was an interesting look into this period of US history and the prominent figures involved.

    It was now time for lunch and we headed to Reading Terminal Market, a large indoor food fair. It took a while to choose and we eventually headed to where the Philli Cheese Steaks were being sold. I opted for the BLT Hogie and Alice had the Kamikaze Cheese Steak. They were both bursting with meat and other gloriously greasy delights. We also got some highly rated (from a podcast) donuts from Beiler.

    We then walked around downtown and the city's artistic highlights soon become apparent. There are many amazing murals adorning the city's walls and it was cool to see one being worked on by an artist standing on a crane. We were on our way to Philadelpia's Magic Gardens where a house and it's garden are decorated with broken mirrors and glass bottles amongst other disused material. It is an impressive feat and was a worthwhile visit.

    We then visited the oldest tavern in Philadelphia, The McGillin's Ale House. We had ales of course. And so with bellies full of food and ale there was only one thing we could do... (cue music)... we ran up the steps of the Philadelpia Art Museum. In honour of the most famous training sequence in movie history, we literally followed in the footsteps of Rocky. OK I'll admit it, we didn't run, but walking was hard enough. Various photos at the top of the steps laters and then it was time to work our way back home. It was a busy, educational and fun day in Philadelpia. I had a feeling the next day was going to be a quiet one...

    Song of the Day:
    Bruce Springstein - Streets of Philadelpia
    Read more