Satellite
  • Day 51

    Day 51 - Family

    October 28, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We were on the road and heading further south. Our destination was in Virginia and we were to be staying with Alice's sister Melissa, her husband Richard and their son Liam.

    The area itself is dripping in American history too allowing us to go on trips whilst also catching up as a group. The first port of call was the town of Fredericksburg. Before going into the town we visited a small museum about the Battle of Fredericksburg. The displays were informative for adults with enough interactive entertainment for Liam. We then followed a small trail next to the museum to the site of the battle and through a cemetery of the fallen. The cemetery covered the high ground with a view across the town of Fredericksburg. We pondered for a while and watched Liam entertain himself by walking down steps and then running up a steep slope next to the steps. We then went into Fredericksburg where the streets were picture perfect and the vast majority of shops had Halloween displays in their windows. As this road trip has progressed we have seen more and more creative Halloween displays. With just a few days to go until Halloween, this town really has... gone to town with it! We stopped for a coffee in a cafe that used to be a Church and if Melissa did not know about it, Alice and I would have walked right past. The coffee and cakes were generously proportioned and also remarkably cheap. That southern hospitality is already showing itself. Re-energized, we strolled back along the other side of the main road and towards our cars.

    In the evening we caught up with Richard and we all went for a recommended Mexican not far from their house. It was a good recommendation and I think I also got Richard into horchatas! We then headed back home and chatted the rest of the evening away.

    Song of the Day:
    Foo Fighters - Virginia Moon
    Read more