Satellite
  • Day 72

    Day 72 - In the Area of 51

    November 18, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 7 °C

    Today's drive involved entering another new state, New Mexico, although judging by the scenery little has changed.

    The day started with a familiar IHOP. We will miss you dearly. Once we crossed the state border, we realised that we were travelling on a section of the historic Route 66 which was a nice surprise. We were also about an hour away from Roswell and having looked in the sky and all around I can confirm we spotted nothing unusual... except the price of gasoline had rocketed since leaving Lubbock, although I'm not blaming little green men for that one.

    Driving into Santa Fe there was a distinctively Spanish and Native American blend to the area's architecture that was striking. The area felt artistic and liberal and it will be fun to explore the city further. First things first, we settled down in our hotel for a short while before heading out. The temperature was decidedly chilly and we went to a local Indian restaurant for dinner. The owner of Raaga, Paddy Rawal, came over to our table and on learning we were from London told us about the restaurant he opened in Chelsea, London in the 1980s. He was very friendly and the food was lovely. We walked back to our hotel and watched TV for what was left of the evening. Bizarrely, an old episode from 1994 of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was on and the episode was about the family considering to sell their home to an unknown wealthy buyer. At the end of the episode, Donald Trump walks into the house to large cheers from the audience. When asked by one of the characters why weren't they informed that it was him offering to buy the house, he replied 'I like to keep a low profile'. Oh how we laughed...

    Song of the Day:
    Arianna Grande - Side to Side (this song is on a T-Mobile commercial that we have heard countless times and it has now worked it's way onto this blog. She is also the passenger in a car driving through the desert which helped with the decision.)
    Read more