Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Ceduna SA

    March 27, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    A drizzly and frustrating morning stuck doing 60km/hr behind an oversized load - a train on a truck of all things (a literal road train) - between Iron Knob and Kimba, just outside of Port Augusta. On the plus side we had plenty of time to refine our car karaoke skills and to take in the practicality prehistoric landscape we were travelling through.

    We stopped in Kimba at the Big Gallah Bakery, marking the halfway point between the east and west coasts of Australia. The pies were good but we know for our return trip not to bother with the coffee.

    Meanwhile the oversized load crawled past and once again we were stuck behind doing 60 km/hr. However it was interesting listening to the chatter and guidance from the pilot vehicle on the UHF radio as we patiently waited for the all-clear to overtake.

    Tonight we’re staying at the BIG4 Ceduna ‘Classic’ Caravan Park. It’s neat and tidy and almost completely full. I’m glad we booked ahead as people were being turned away as we checked in.

    Ceduna is a lovely town. It’s like we popped out of the vast lands of SA to a little seaside oasis (all two streets worth at least).

    After a wander around town we indulged in a delicious SA seafood platter at the Ceduna Foreshore Hotel Motel. It did not disappoint. We will sleep well tonight ready to hit the Nullarbor tomorrow.

    Today’s lesson: Always fill up with diesel when you can as there’s no guarantee the next mapped fuel stop exists or even has supply!

    Fun Fact: Ceduna is known as the ‘Gateway to the Nullarbor’ (at least on approach from the east) and is somewhat famous as the opening hole of the ‘Nullarbor Links’ – the world’s longest golf course, where you definitely need a car to get across ‘the green’.
    Read more