Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Eucla WA

    March 28, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 22 °C

    Today has been a real bucket list highlights package. Everything as good if not better than imagined. It was also a day of BIG things: Big Windmill, Big Whale and Big Rooey II.

    Just past the big windmill (Comet) at Penong we commenced our first epic crossing of the Nullarbor Plain. We are amazed at how busy the highway is. We’re continually passing and being passed by caravans, road trains and cyclists would you believe!

    We explored the Head of the Bight Visitor Centre where a series of boardwalks and viewing platforms hang out over the cliffs providing views in all directions. We then stopped at the iconic Nullarbor Roadhouse with the big whale.

    But the absolute highlight of the day was venturing out to the Bunda Cliffs (the longest uninterrupted line of sea cliffs in the world) where we pulled up literally metres from the edge of the continent. The coastline here is spectacular and we even spotted a pod of dolphins playing in the sparkling blue water below. Amazing!

    We pushed on through our second quarantine checkpoint to cross the border into WA. The WA inspection was very relaxed compared to SA. They took our word about no fresh food and were really only concerned about no honey entering WA, whereas at the SA border they literally checked every bag and cupboard in both car and caravan!

    Just beyond the WA border we quickly checked out the ruins of the Old Eucla Telegraph Station, once a pivotal link in cross-country communications now slowly being reclaimed by the sand dunes, before settling in at Eucla Caravan Park for the night.

    Who knows what time we’ll go to bed tonight - having passed through three different time zones today our devices are scrambling to keep up. But who cares - we’re on holidays. What a day! 😊
    Read more