Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Esperance WA

    March 30, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Today we officially left the Nullarbor and started our tour around the beautiful south of WA.

    First rest stop on-route was Norseman at the junction of the Eyre Highway and Coolgardie-Esperance Highway. It was a hive of road-train activity including a massive quadruple, the biggest we’ve seen. Fortunately they mostly headed north towards Kalgoorlie - we’ll encounter them on our way home no doubt.

    Today was an easy travel day and relatively uneventful compared to the previous few we’ve had, with nothing particular to report.

    We rolled into Esperance and checked in at the RAC Esperance Caravan Park. Wow! The facilities are spectacular, up there with some of the best we’ve experienced. Our site has its own ensuite bathroom with a huge double sized shower, while the camp kitchen is fully equipped to commercial standards and embarrassingly perhaps better than our own kitchen at home. Plus it’s right opposite the beach. Lucky we booked ahead (9 months ago!) as there’s a big sign stating no vacancies for caravans.

    We drove out to look at ‘Pink Lake’ just out of town. Unfortunately, the information boards at the lookout confirmed it hasn’t been pink since 2007. This intel would have been good before going out there. However, they say it may become pink again when the water temperature and salinity levels create the correct circumstances. I doubt we’ll be back.

    We explored around town and along the waterfront before retreating for the night. Looking forward to exploring Cape Le Grande NP tomorrow.
    Read more