Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Rainbow Coast WA

    April 3, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    This morning as we set out in a shower of rain, we thought we might see first hand why the region around Albany is known as the 'Rainbow Coast'. But true to our local guide’s word, the rain was short-lived and followed thereafter by patches of sun (sadly no rainbows).

    We headed along the South Coast Highway towards Denmark and Walpole. The Valley of the Giants famous Tree Top Walk was pretty cool, comprising a series of platforms and suspension bridges reaching 40m above the forest floor! Sadly my childhood memory of driving through the hollow of a giant Red Tingle tree wasn’t to be relived, as it turns out such activity (including by generations before us) ultimately played a part in killing the tree, with its surprisingly shallow root system destroyed by years of ground compaction. Fortunately, the WA Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions is now actively correcting the errors of the past and protecting these magnificent trees and forests so we may appreciate them for years to come.

    As the sun came out, we headed for William Bay National Park and another of my childhood memories - Greens Pool. We also checked out nearby Elephant Rocks and Waterfall Beach. They are each spectacular swimming spots in their own right, so it’s unfair to say we were underwhelmed. But we all agreed they just didn’t compare to Lucky Bay and Cape Le Grande NP. We’ve been ruined, no beach will compare!

    Returning to town we explored the Brig Amity to experience what life would have been like aboard one of the convict ships that came to the West Coast of Australia in 1826.

    We ended another great day with dinner at Due South, a funky casual restaurant down by the waterfront, to celebrate our last night in Albany and farewell Lou and Darcey (and Harry). It’s been so good to catch up xx
    Read more