Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Torndirrup NP

    April 2, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Next stop on the Albany adventure tour was Torndirrup NP, including The Gap and Natural Bridge with their outstanding views of the Southern Ocean and some of WA’s most exposed coastline 40m below! Then off to stunning Frenchman's Bay and the old historic Whaling Station.

    Fun Fact: The Cheynes Beach Whaling Company was the last whaling company to cease operations in Australia, closing in 1978.

    Interestingly, we've learned that 'up' - a suffix commonly found in place names in south-western Western Australia - means "place of" in the local Noongar dialect. Places tended to be named after their distinctive features, whereby the place names could be used to create a 'mental map' allowing Indigenous Australians to determine where water, food and other raw materials could be found. These sites were often located near sources of fresh water, leading to the common misconception that 'up' means "near water".

    In this case, Torndirrup - meaning ‘white sandy’ or 'place of white sand hills' - is a fitting description of this spectacular area of coastline, with its dazzling powder-fine (almost) pure quartz dunes and beaches.

    After returning to Albany and checking in at the BIG4 Middleton Beach we drove up to the National ANZAC Centre and Memorial with just enough time to absorb the stunning views over the town and port before heading back to the van for ‘happy hour’ with Lou, Harry and Darcey.
    Read more