Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Binnalong Bay TAS

    April 15 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Making the most of a beautiful Tassie day exploring along the Great Eastern Tourist Drive.

    First stop Eddystone Point lighthouse overlooking the Bay of Fires Conservation Area and marking the easternmost point of the Tasmanian island. Here we experienced the iconic granite rocks splashed in orange lichen against a backdrop of clean white beaches and clear azure seas. A truly stunning landscape, exactly like the brochures. Bucket list ✅

    Next stop, Little Blue Lake - a natural phenomenon resulting from the pioneering mining days of South Mount Cameron and the surrounding areas of the Far North East of Tasmania. Originally a mine hole, the lake reflects a vivid aqua blue from the minerals in its base. It was slightly overcast when we arrived and possibly lacking its sparkle, but an impressive sight nonetheless.

    Moving on we headed to the Pyengana Dairy, home of Australia’s heritage farmhouse cheese, continuing 135 years of tradition producing handcrafted cheese and dairy products. While Anthony and I enjoyed a Tasmanian tasting platter, the boys made a big call confidently declaring their ice cream to be the best ever - all eaten before I had time for a picture!

    Down the road we indulged Priscilla the beer drinking pig at the Pub in the Paddock. I was a little conflicted by this tourist attraction, but they assured us she only drinks a “specially watered-down” brew. We were amazed how quickly she guzzled it!

    A bit further down the road we ventured out to St Columba Falls - reportedly the tallest in Tasmania and one of Tassie's top 60 short walks. It was a lovely stroll through the rainforest down to the falls and back up again.

    All in all, a fantastic first full day in northeast Tassie.
    Read more