Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 136

    Tayrona National Park, Colombia

    May 5, 2023 in Colombia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We started out journey out to Tayrona National park with a long bus ride from Cartegena. It was only supposed to take 4 hours but ended up taking over 6 hours. Because we were so late, our accomodation host came and picked us up from Santa Marta, which is the closest city. When we finally arrived, we were taken to our accomodation, which was a beautiful A-Framed tiny home in the middle of the National park. The next morning, we collected our friend Michelle and headed into the park. It’s is about a three hour hike to the main beach and it was extremely humid, so we hired a horse which took us around. The ride was quite scary as the horses moved quickly through the steep terrain. Alex and Michelle loved it but I was screaming most of the way.

    Once we reached the main beach, we had lunch and a swim. Tayrona beaches are famous for their huge, smooth boulders along the shoreline. The water was warm but not especially clear. On the way back we visited another beach for a quick swim. We also had a little dog who followed us on the hour trek home. He ended up staying at our tiny home all night and day and followed us whenever we left.

    The next day we decided to head the Medellin so we caught the bus back to Santa Marta. We spent most of the day wandering the streets (with all our stuff) and sitting by the beach before our evening flight. Santa Marta was a bit of a run-down beachside city which I didn’t find particularly nice or interesting.
    Read more