Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 219

    Juneau, Alaska, USA

    July 27, 2023 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Today we went ashore without a booked excursions but when we arrived in town we booked whale watching for the afternoon. We looked around the town, which had 4 cruise ships in port! It was built on cruise tourism and mum and Alex bought some souvenirs. In the afternoon we boarded the bus to go whale watching. On the way out we stopped at the Mendenhall Glacier which can be seen from many vantage points around town. We were also super lucky and saw a black bear with her two cubs.

    Once we got to the marina, we boarded our boat and headed out to see the whales. It wasn’t long until we spotted plenty of humpbacks. The highlight was our first stop, where we saw 10-15 whales bubble netting. This phenomenon only happens in Juneau and only for a few weeks of the year. The whales catch their fish by creating a spiral of bubbles while the leader approaches from below and scoops up the fish. Our second stop was to watch a few more whales feeding and diving. This group got quite close to our boat! Unfortunately it was difficult to photograph the bubble netting to accurately depict its awesomeness!
    Read more