Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Haria to the Caleta de Famara

    November 3, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We drove to the NW of Lanzarote to Haria, a pretty village of low-lying white-washed buildings situated in the fertile Valley of the Thousand Palm Trees, where was stopped for a coffee. Walking across the surrounding hills passing cultivated plots of fig trees and grape vines, we reached the clifftop area of Bosquecillo with great views down the Famara cliffs to the beach at Caleta de Famara. The elevation of the viewpoint near a military communications area was 670 metres., the highest point of the island as it often is where there is a military establishment.
    After lunch amongst the rocks on the clifftop, we descended down a ravine on a steep path to the 5km-long beach and the village of Caleta de Famara which is a centre of windsurfing, bodysurfing and kitesurfing on the big waves rolling in from the Atlantic, even despite the red flag flying on that day.
    The walk was 12km with 450 metres ascent and 650 metres of descent.
    After a drink and a sticky toffee pudding at an arty surfers' restaurant, we went by minibus to the former capital, Teguise, to see the historic centre.
    We returned to one of the better restaurants for dinner.
    Cesar Manrique was an artist and environmentalist, responsible for many of the art installations at roundabouts, and the absence of advertising billboards along the roads, a contrast with other islands such as Tenerife.
    Read more