Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Hiroshima

    September 19, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    I forwarded my holdall to Kyoto for Y2100 = £13.
    After another Japanese breakfast at the ryokan, we retraced our route back to Nagoya and experienced the only delay on a train on the whole eight-week holiday. It was only 20 minutes and meant that we missed our connection but there was another train soon afterwards.
    I bought a bento box to eat for lunch on the Shinkansen to Osaka, where we sat in our only unreserved seat on the whole holiday, followed by a Shinkansen to Hiroshima.
    After checking-in at the S Hotel, we took a tram to the Peace Park and saw the Dome which had not been destroyed by the atomic bomb in 1945 because it was at the epicentre of the blast.
    We walked through one of the many long, covered arcades in Japan to an upstairs floor where there were a number of booths with tourists eating okonomiyaki pancakes made on the hot surface in front of the counter. It was one of the best meals we had so we returned the following evening.
    There was a massive store selling all kinds of things close to the restaurant but it didn't have wheeled holdalls. Many shops had suitcases on sale.
    It was noticeable in Hiroshima and other cities that the average size of car was smaller than in the UK with few SUVs.
    Read more