Satellite
  • Day 85

    The road to Albuquerque

    November 15, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 43 °F

    This trip has been the trip of WEATHER for us, and now we are being chased by a cold front carrying snow from the West. We are not ready to leave New Mexico yet, and searched high and low for a place to ride it out that would be on the mild side of events. We opted for Albuquerque, where we can stock up at Whole Foods and sit tight if need be. (There is even a small brew pub abutting the campground if we get desperate!) If the weather cooperates, we there is plenty to see here.

    Just for the drive here, it was an inspired choice. First of all, Gordon got a great view of one of the mines this area is famous for. Even the tailings are gorgeous, though I think he mainly had eyes for the heavy equipment at the bottom of the pit.

    Moving on, even the looming weather could not dampen the majesty of the mountainous road traveling East out of Silver City. We enjoyed every minute, even though at times we were down to 10 mph around the hairpin turns. I was convinced some of them were actually “O” turns. Fall is gold, brown, and black and copper around here, and smells of juniper.
    Read more