Satellite
  • Day 53

    Here we are again

    December 19, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 37 °F

    As most of you know, for us no trip is complete without a trip to urgent care.

    I developed an ache on the left side this morning. It felt like a pulled muscle, though I couldn't identify a specific muscle. But the pain got worse and worse so I went and laid in bed. Eventually the pain went from all the way from the side down into the groin. Then the nausea set in. I laid down again for awhile and started to feel ok. Good, what ever was the problem had passed. Unfortunately, an hour later the entire cycle started again.

    By that time I had looked on the internet for these symptoms, and it seemed a good match for... kidney beans. No, make that kidney stones.

    So off to urgent care we went. After blood tests and a CAT scan it was confirmed to be kidney beans. I am the proud parent of a fine pair of twins. One a small 3mm stone well down the ureter to the bladder. The other is a big 8mm boy still up in the kidney (where I hope he stays).

    I got a couple of drugs to prevent infection, enlarge the tubes, and to help with pain.

    Sure enough, this evening the little boy wanted to move some more. Sure glad I had those pain pills.

    Follow up: next day no pain. But I am suppose to catch the little bugger and give him to the lab so they have a better idea what dietary changes to suggest. Sure hope he turns up soon.
    Read more