Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 50

    First Sighting & A Welcome

    18. heinäkuuta 2023, Kanada ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    There’s a scene in the Polar Express when the train arrives at the North Pole and a wide-eyed child calls out in amazement … “Elves!”

    That’s how I felt like last night as we crested a hill in Twillingate Harbour and saw our first iceberg from a distance. Pure excitement.

    Hope to see more today but like your first kiss, you never forget your first iceberg sighting.

    Oh and we were officially welcomed to Central Newfoundland by Jim and Ray who saw our Westfalia down by the Birchy Bay boat launch and had to check us out. They were so enthusiastic about the area and 45 minutes later left us with stories, a primer on cod fishing and seafood, recommendations on where to go and what to eat, and broad smiles on our faces.

    Later that night at a dockside, seafood restaurant, the table across from us struck up a conversation. Proud Newfoundlanders who wanted to share the beauty of their province and were happy to answer our questions. Before leaving the marina, the one fellow came over and said your tab’s been paid. Just remember to pay it forward. This act of island generosity capped a beautiful day.
    Lue lisää