Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 92

    A Day to Remember

    August 29, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Bike fences, gum trees, and a random war memorial … it was a hodgepodge of a day here on Manitoulin Island. We have returned to rural, the traffic bedlam of Toronto mercifully in the rear view mirror.

    Recently the island has become an artists’ Mecca, according to a local chainsaw carver who we chatted up having stopped to see a sleepy forest spirit carved into an old tree. A couple hours before a long line of painted bikes fenced off an artist’s front lawn in such contrast to the old, rough cut zig zag fencing we first encountered last night.

    I will remember the Cup and Saucer Trail for the views of the Niagara Escarpment at the summit, the pouring rain, but also the “gum trees” — colourful wads of gum thumbed onto two different trees. I’ve seen small locks affixed to chain link fences around the world but the gum trees are a first for me.

    At a rural crossroads where the nearest town was perhaps 20 kilometres away, there was an impressive war monument recognizing the island men who fought and died in 20th century wars. Given the size of Manitoulin Island I was blown away by the size and repair of the memorial. Lest we forget.

    Yes, a day to remember for many reasons.
    Read more