Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 104

    Hometown Heroes

    September 10, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Yesterday we had breakfast in front of the home donated by John Diefenbaker to his hometown of Prince Albert. The pride of P.A. has a museum, road and bridge named after him. He was also my first prime minister though I was much too young to remember this fiery prairie populist.

    Leaving Saskatchewan, we saw a billboard in Burstall, shouting out the name of Chad Jassman, a wheelchair basketball Olympian to all passersby.

    From big city to small town, Canada celebrates their local sons and daughters who have grown up and gone on to do great things. Typically these are athletes, ranging from NHL stars, curlers, figure skaters, rodeo champions, etc. — sometimes prime ministers and Paralympians. I have enjoyed the civic pride as it helps me connect the place with at least one person.

    The siren of our hometown— Lethbridge— was too loud to ignore and that coupled with some very chilly nights in north Saskatchewan turned us into road warriors today — travelling south from Prince Albert, the forests and lakes giving way to ever longer horizons, coulees, and cheaper gas.

    Coleen and I are now home. Finn’s odometer has tripped over 18,000 kilometres over the past 104 days and nine provinces. It’s been a good ride and I am ever so happy that you joined us on this road trip.

    So don’t be surprised when I look at my watch should you ask “Did you have a good holiday?” I might just reply.

    How long do you have?
    Read more