Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Metropolitan Park and a bit on Guna Yala

    January 27, 2023 in Panama ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    In the next days we decided to go to Metropolitan Park which represents a natural oasis with nice views of the city, while being located conveniently in the city. Ok, I definitely saw more beautiful and wild nature on this trip, but it was surprising to see all the wildlife thriving while being surrounded by skyscrapers and crowded roads within the short distance.

    We saw colorful birds, monkeys, and even a deer! As we kept exploring and spending more time at some places, observing and receiving all the sounds and movement, we started seeing fireflies everywhere! It looked like the nature was glitching before our eyes - it felt too magical to be true.

    Speaking of magical, in the following days we also visited the free Mola Museum in Casco Viejo. Mola is a specific way the materials are handwoven into nature-inspired geometrical shapes by the Guna Yala indigenous people that live in the west of Panama, in and around San Blas Islands. This group managed to retain a high level of autonomy to the state and have really interesting history and cosmology.

    I highly recommend visiting the museum, as it is all informative, interactive and just, beautiful. To add a mystic dimension to the whole story, mola patterns are supposed to protect whoever wears them from evil spirits and bad influences.
    Read more