Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    Cabo de la Vela

    February 16, 2023 in Colombia ⋅ 🌬 27 °C

    Our next stop was Cabo de la Vela - the starting point for exploration of La Guajira desert. We spent two days there. The local Wayuu people hold a sort of monopoly - prices are double of what they are in Riohacha and although it is supposed to be authentic experience and backpacker’s spot, tourism is highly developed and everything revolves around it.

    There is a slight feeling of a ghost town. The majority of people rushed to advertise their hotel and restaurants but the hoards of tourists never came, so now they are a bit resentful and exploiting towards anyone who does come for a visit. The life there is tough - most of the children you see on the street will try to get any money from you, mostly through begging, selling, or even asking for water. Cabo de la Vela’s beach is very shallow but with constant strong winds, hence a kite surfing paradise. There is a small and lively kite surfing community here.

    We did a 4x4 desert tour. As there is not a lot of things you can do on your own, this is a good option. I am not particularly fan of spending a day in a car and stopping just to get photos, but those were some nice photos. The sea is restless with heavy currents and wind, so when we were there, it was not really possible to swim.

    Everything seems harsh and unwelcoming but beautiful to see. In Riohacha, I learned couple of Wayu words, since learning a local dialect previously helped me when traveling. Not this time, people that I tried to connect with were not only unimpressed, but kinda confused what to make out of my efforts.
    Read more