Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 6: Enkhuizen - Jazz Festival

    June 10, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    This morning we headed to Hoorn again, however this time Amy, Rosemarie and myself boarded the historic stoomtram (steam train) that runs between Hoorn and Medemblik. The train was very popular today with many people on the train and we were lucky to get the seats we did. Along the way the train stopped at Wognum where we had a go at the stilts. I think I need to work on my balance as I was not good on them.

    At Medemblik we stopped for lunch before walking to catch a boat back to Enkhuizen. We were very lucky to get the boat, in fact we were the last to board, as we zigged when we should have zagged after lunch and ended up at the wrong spot to get on the boat. Anyway, after a very quick walk back through Medemblik we got there just in time.

    The boat trip was very good however it was a bit windy and cold and there were a few spots of rain. The highlight was seeing Enkhuizen from the water and it was also great to see the Drommedaris in all its glory, it was being renovated last time we were here. The Drommedaris is a historic gate in Enkhuizen and is one of its most prominent landmarks. We took some photos of it later in the day and they are attached.

    Once back in Enkhuizen we met up with Maikel and then headed into the city to enjoy the Jazz Festival. There were many people in town enjoying the Jazz and the sun came out to add to an enjoyable afternoon. We spent some time sitting at a bar enjoying a drink and watching the people go by. People watching is one of my favourite pastimes. The music was quite good and everyone was in good spirits. We wandered through the festival and ended up at the Drommedaris prior to heading over to Riets and Jan's for dinner. We enjoyed kroketten in bread, frites, nasibal and bamibal finished with advocaat and ice cream. We ate way too much but all the food was delicious.

    This afternoon invoked the feeling of gezellig, both when spending time in Enkhuizen at the Jazz festival with Rosemarie and Maikel but especially sitting in Riets and Jan's front yard enjoying their company, the food, the beer and the beautiful setting of their home and garden.

    We are now back at Rosemarie and Maikel's relaxing after another sensational day in the Netherlands. We are really enjoying our time here and loving being in Enkhuizen again and looking forward to what tomorrow will bring.

    I must also mention that Maikel has been helping me learn Dutch. He has typed up some cheat sheets for me this morning and we went through a bunch of words and numbers. I am determined to be able to hold a conversation in Dutch next time I am here but it will be quite a challenge as it will take some time to get my head around the intricacies of this language.

    Tot Ziens.
    Read more