Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Day 18: Hontanas

    September 27, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    It was fun to mix things up today with our rental ebikes. We zipped across the 32 kilometers in little more than two hours, with plenty of charge left on the bikes’ batteries.

    Allan joked that we were passing pilgrims like picket fence posts!

    The route was mostly flat, but there was one sneaky, roller coaster style descent that had us riding our brakes for quite some time.

    We stopped along the way several times to chat with pilgrims we’ve met along the way. Since we are leapfrogging ahead quite a bit with the bikes, we may not see them again.

    Then, we shared our lunch table in Hontanas with a German pilgrim we’d seen along the Camino several times but whom we hadn’t had a chance to talk in depth with.

    Given our experience today, we are optimistic about the batteries lasting for tomorrow’s 82 1/2 kilometer ride to Moratinos.

    As we enjoyed our day here, we warily monitored news about Hurricane Ian’s path toward Florida. We are concerned for friends and family in the state, as well as for our property in Saint Augustine and Green Cove Springs. May all be well…
    Read more