Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Hogsback day 2

    December 9, 2022 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    This morning we decided to again leave the car at the accommodation and walk to several places. First we walked to "the Edge". This really is on the edge of the valley with the most amazing view! We just sat there for a while to enjoy the view and afterwards enjoyed icecream and a cold beer and the Edge Mountain Retreat. We then decided to walk from there to Hobbiton, it was a really beautiful and very heavy hike despite the weather changing from being really hot and sunny to dark, rainy clouds. Hobbiton seemed a bit abandoned and looked different compared to what Matthew remembered from the last time he had been there but the hike was definitely still worth it because of the beautiful surroundings. On our way back to our accommodation we made a quick stop at the supermarket for that nights dinner after which we started a long hike up the mountain again. Eventually we came back covered in sweat and with terribly aching feet, that was almost 18 km of hiking in the heat of which a big part was quite steep uphill.
    That evening after we had eaten we really wanted to take a shower but because of the lightning storm that just started that wasn't the safest thing to do so we wanted to wait for the lightning to stop but instead of stop it got really worse and we kind of got a bit scared because we were really trapped in the middle of it high on the mountain. Luckily everything went fine and we just watched the lightning until it eventually started to calm down a bit and we fell asleep.
    Read more