Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 79

    Red Island - dragon fruits & surfing

    November 3, 2022 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    The region around Red Island Beach (Pulau Merah) was almost exactly like i imagined it to be. Because it is off season we seemed to be almost the only tourists around here (only on the weekends Indonesian tourists are visiting red island).
    We finally came to a rest - had a nice accommodation with small bungalows which are built around a small garden in the middle of it. What a nice view when you come out of your bungalow in the morning and first thing you see is a lemon tree 😍🍋
    Red Island Beach is called like that, because you can see a big hill/ island right in front of you in the ocean when you sit at the beach. In some months the sun sets directly behind that island and the sky is turning red.
    The beach is also known for its good waves and so we rented some boards and tried to surf. Due to the strong current and sometimes way to big waves for me, it was most of the time practicing in the white water or being in a washing machine for me 😅 but being on a board again (at least the majority of the time haha) and seeing that jungle island right next to you makes it still totally worth it! Also just watching the excellent local surfers here was also so much fun! They are also so friendly („This wave for you miss!!“)!
    The warungs here in the village didn’t have many options, actually the first days we were eating either Nasi or Mie Goreng all the time 😅 but to be fair, one of the Mie Gorengs was the best one I ever had (for 1 €😂).
    Beside the friendly people another highlight at Red Island Beach was the variety of delicious and fresh fruits you can buy. Especially dragon fruits were so gooood here. Each time we bought some, the friendly Rosmiata gave us way more of the dragon fruits to try than we paid for.
    Read more