Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 113

    Cooking class in Senggigi👨‍🍳👩‍🍳👨‍🍳

    December 7, 2022 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    After a couple of days of surfing we needed a rest day and decided to do an Indonesian cooking class. Haris, the Indonesian restaurant manager that we got to know in Kuta, recommended a class in Senggigi, 1.5 hours from Kuta. We drove there by scooter (the streets are so empty compared to the ones on Bali!😍) and were welcomed by Christos and Dewi. Christos originally comes from Greece but lives on Lombok with his wife since almost 20 years. His Indonesian wife Dewi is originally from Jakarta.

    Christos gave us a tour in his amazing garden, where he seems to grow almost everything. Among others he showed us delicate herbes, his papaya, mango and banana trees, eggplants, tomatoes, chillis, limes and cauliflower.

    Afterwards Dewi told us which dishes we were about to cook together: Indonesian deep-fried corn fritters, Chicken and Tempe Satay, Indonesian curry and Fish / tofu in banana leaves. As a dessert we should prepare the typical Dadar Gulung (pancake-like things filled with coconut slices and palm sugar).

    At first we were a little bit sad, why weren’t we cooking the dishes that we were eating the whole time like Nasi Goreng or Gado gado? ☹️ but in the end it was very interesting to cook together with Dewi, following her instructions and preparing more special dishes.
    When we finished cooking after 2 hours, we could eat all the dishes we prepared - my favourite were the corn fritters 😊

    Christos (the grumpy and at the same time friendly Greek) gave us some papayas, chillis and limes for takeaway and we headed back to Kuta while the sun set.
    Read more