Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    San Pedro de Mérida to Mérida

    March 6 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    D: And, more quickly than expected, it was over! We were informed in the morning that we should not attempt to cross the river as the water would be waist deep and there would be a current. G wanted to walk on to Torrefresnada, but I balked at the prospect of the highway walk, esp. Given my Achilles problem. We asked the fellow behind the bar at the hostel to call a cab for us. Someone showed up and drove us to San Pedro de Merida for 30 euros.

    The walk to Trujillanos was along the side of a highway, or on a parallel road. We listened to music/podcasts to block out the roar of the trucks. The remainder of the way in to Merida was along a red dirt path, which was fine. Certainly the last 2-3 days of the CM are missable, unless you want to walk every step. If you want to walk into Merida, as we did, walking from Trujillanos is a good option.

    We stayed the night in the Albergue in Merida, a place where (as we also found during our last stay here on the VDLP) peregrinos take advantage of being in a city and stay up late. We rushed back from the city so that we would not disturb others who were sleeping, but were the first in the bunk room. After so much of the CM on our own, It was also a reminder of the more typical Albergue experience (chorus of snoring)!

    We are now waiting for the bus to Seville. We will fly home to Amsterdam on Monday evening. There is possibly time for another very short walk, but where?

    G: gestart in San Pedro. We hadden ons net zo goed nog wat verder kunnen laten afzetten want de eerste zeven km loop je parallel aan de lawaai snelweg. In Trujillanos een korte stop en daar zie ik een kerk met minstens tien ooievaarsnesten. Het kunnen er nog meer zijn ( in het midden) maar dat kan ik niet zien. Dit is het meeste van wat ik tot nu toe gezien heb.
    Het laatste stuk naar Mérida is over onverharde weg dus dat is wel lekker voor debi haar voetjes. Voor een laatste keer in de herberg, er zijn drie andere pelgrims. Een van hen, een Italiaan die op de fiets is laat ons binnen want de hospitalerio is r er nog niet. Morgen vroeg met de bus naar Sevilla. En dan is het plots over… Dat komt altijd met een beetje een droevig gevoel … Buen buen Camino
    Read more