Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Play day in Santa Fe

    June 12, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 36 °C

    We woke up hungry and tired of traveling. Breakfast in the hotel was disappointing. . .the coffee was made from concentrate! It was not freshly brewed! ! And it didn't taste good. That meant the first order of business was to find a coffee shop. There were some other items we needed so we decided to go to the outlet malls. That was an adventure.

    One sister thought the outlet mall was to the right; one sister knew it was by the interstate; one sister thought we should Google the destination; the sister who was driving was going crazy. We did eventually make it there, without using any of our devices, and without becoming enemies. It was close, though.

    At the outlet mall we discovered a little eatery called Tres Colores. Actually, it was the only place to get food in the mall. We asked if they had fresh brewed coffee, they said yes; so we had our second breakfast. What a good decision that was! The coffee was excellent, the food was delicious, organic, and local. We left our praises on the comment board and promise we would give them a good review on Yelp. Of course, none of us knows how to do that. Janet thought she had the Yelp app on her phone, but she didn't. Someday we will figure it all out and keep our promise.

    Then it was back on the car to find the art district in Santa Fe. We had a little trouble, but saw parts of the city we would never have seen if we'd gone straight downtown. Public parking was a challenge to find, yet we eventually found a very full parking garage with lots of spaces on the roof.

    We wandered all over downtown Santa Fe. We found a great toy store, a wonderful shop that sold purses, dresses, and accessories. Joyce bought the most beautiful hand painted leather purse! Lunch was at the Plaza Cafe which had been there since 1908. More delicious food. I tried a pear cactus lemonade. Yummy, not too sweet.

    A jewelry store had caught my eye as we were headed to the cafe so we headed back there. On the way we saw a man sitting on the sidewalk with a big dog wearing sunglasses. People were stopping and taking pictures and giving the man some money for the privilege. We had no small bills, so we just took a picture. In the jewelry store were some of the most unique wedding bands I have ever seen. I wanted to buy one for Bill for an anniversary present. Unfortunately, i don't know his ring size, and neither does he. But the sales lady, Maggie, is going to send me pictures of the rings I liked, and Bill and I can order on line.

    Our last stop was at Yogi Berri, a frozen yogurt shop. They had opened up just that day. They were very kind to us and let us use their private restroom. In return we bought $18 of frozen yogurt. It was worth it.

    Happy and full we piled into the car and headed west. The Comfort Inn in downtown Gallup, New Mexico provided a comfortable room for a good night's rest.
    Read more