Satellite
  • Day 12

    Night time tapas

    April 6, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    For my first night in Madrid I booked an evening escorted Tapas tour as a safe way to spend an evening out in a strange city. It was such a good idea and I would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Spain for the first time.

    There was only three of us on the tour plus James the host (a Scottish migrant to Spain). He gave us all sorts of historical info as we walked from bar to bar and also told us of how the whole thing worked. He ordered the drinks and food and we just had to eat and drink it all! We ate a wide variety of food , often not knowing what we ate until after we tried it. There was shark, octopus, aparagas, tripe, shrimp, cheeses ,ham, chorizo, blue cheese, meatballs, pork dishes and so it went on. All little plates we shared and all exquisitely cooked and presented. Because you eat as you drink, the alcohol didn't really take affect, a very smart approach to drinking. All in all a great night that went from 8pm to midnight. It is normal in Spain to eat dinner at 9pm or 10pm and we saw families with toddlers eating out at 10PM. I was off to bed at the end but the young brother and sister on the tour were heading off to the clubs!
    Read more